Sunday, March 30, 2008

Wow... you know this will scare someone

According to this news story there are more Muslims in the world than Catholics. Though, there are more Christians than Muslims worldwide. Interesting, huh? And the majority of those who call them selves Christian, I believe are Catholic. I think that's accurate. I'm too lazy right now to look it up. Funny thing is, there is so much anti-Catholicism, you'd think it was just the opposite.

My ancestors came from Spain. I'm sure at one time I had ancestors who were both Jewish and Muslim. I occasionally comment that my ancestors were either the persecuted or the persecutors. Maybe they were both. For a while the three great religions existed in Spain. It was probably an awkward coexistence, but they did coexist. Certainly life wasn't perfect and the Christians felt persecuted so they revolted arguably quite zealously in the end. Quite honestly, history doesn't really change. Worldwide, the same conflicts still exist, the same battles are fought, but the manner in which they are fought are different. They're more insidious these days. (I don't mean to simplify years of world history, but I don't have the energy to really articulate anything more. You have to realize I'm trying to stretch my brain these days. That's what this blog is here for.)

I don't see Islam as being the big, evil religion. Like Christianity, it has extremists which tarnish its reputation. Plenty of atrocities have been done in the name of Christianity. So far no one on planet earth is guilt free.

We also live in a society that is extremely anti-Muslims. As Catholics, who live in the same world with its strong anti-Catholicism, I think before we pass judgment on any one religion, we should learn what it's all about. People who judge our faith, often know nothing about it and pass judgment anyway. And the people we need to evangelize are our own Catholics who are leaving the church in droves. That's where we need to channel our energies.

No comments: