Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Walking on Sunshine.

Rain makes the world or my little piece of it seem all that much brighter. This morning I woke up to a great morning rain, several hours of heavy rain, actually. It wasn't warm enough to open the window to smell it and listen to it, but it was truly lovely. By noon, it had cleared up to a lovely New Mexico blue sky, but a couple hours later it clouded up again and rained even more. Now, it's gorgeous outside. The ground is soaked, everything is fresh and clean. I contemplated heading to the gym to work out, then I thought about going to a movie, but ended up driving around town with the sunroof open, the windows down and the Goo Goo Dolls playing on the CD player while I ran errands.

I don't remember how long ago I cleaned out my college notebooks and papers, but awhile back I tossed most of those things while I saved notebook after notebook with stories and ideas for stories. In college it was mostly Highlander fanfiction, but before that, it was mostly teenage angst. I still have a vague recollection about some of my stories, but I don't want to venture to guess what some of the plotlines were or who the characters were based on.

Meanwhile, I am on a quest to find a paper I wrote Junior year for Religion class. I had to write about the Death Penalty and I didn't quite grasp the concept of Capital Punishment then. It was probably the first real research paper I had to tackle and so I worked really hard. I ended up with an A, but for the life of me I can't remember what I wrote and I saw it when I was cleaning out my school boxes and I can't find it for the life of me now. I know I saved it.

Amid the notebooks and other papers, I found old Trapper Binders from high school filled with story after story written in long hand. I wrote hundreds of pages. I didn't read through them because I was a bit too scared to look at them, but now I know why I didn't care all that much about high school, I was too busy becoming an unpublished novelist. There is some really craptastic poetry too. I mean that. I am a lousy poet. I envy you guys who write and post poetry and it really is mostly you "guys". It blows me away how poets can express such poignant and profound thoughts in so few words, meanwhile, I ramble on probably losing track of my whole point, which of course anyone reading this journal should be able to figure out.

It was a good day. Now I'm off to have dinner with my folks, which I still do a couple of times a week. For those playing along, dinner tonight will be, orange roughy, corn, baked potatoes and salad. As, I'm not cooking, I know it will be good.

I brought the poodle doodle back with me and walked him home, together with Estrella. It was a nice evening for a walk, but you know, it's gonna to amaze me when I'm sore. You don't think walking is so hard, but it can be a great workout, especially when you've a precarious hold on two four-legged beasts. I think two miles is Estrella's limit though. She's sacked out.


posted at the lj earlier.

No comments: