Saturday, July 4, 2009

You Learn Something New Everyday.

So this photo got me wondering about these religious. I'd been seeing the brothers (well, friars) around at various events in the archdiocese as of late. It turns out they are Franciscan Friars of the Renewal and there is a friary in Albuquerque. I remember reading a news story about them in the Albuquerque Journal around Easter, but it didn't dawn on me who they were that day at the procession. The women were their counterparts, the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal. The sisters threw me off as I didn't think we had many religious in town, except for the Carmelites and they are cloistered. But they are here in New Mexico for the bible study that the Friars do every summer. There is mention of it on their history page.

And so now, I am no longer stumped. Perhaps I'll send pictures to both the communities.

I've added their website to the sidebar and I think I'll expand sites that I add in days to come. I really like their mission and think it would be a community worthy of giving my support.

No comments: