Thursday, September 25, 2008

Secular Symbol Or Not?



Apparently a non-profit group in Utah has asked the City of Santa Fe to join them in a law suit against a group of atheists who are challenging the existence of several monuments they have placed along Utah's road sides in honor of police officers who have died in the line of duty. Apparently these crosses are similar to our own Cross of the Martyrs in Santa Fe. Reported in a news story in today's Journal, it brings our own Cross's standing in question. This one pictured here, is actually the second cross to our own martyr's, the orignal still stands in an old, popular Santa Fe neighborhood. It's hiding up in the hills. The monument was erected to honor the 21 Franciscan Friars who were killed during the Pueblo Revolt of 1680 and is still a popular place of devotion for locals and a spot well visited by tourists. Unrelatedly, I wonder if Rome has made any recognition of their martyrdom. Anyway, the Cross here is historic and I certainly hope that this challenge in Utah doesn't lead to a similar group posing a challenge here.

A few entries down, you can see a night view of the Cross taken on the last night of the Fiesta. When I have my wits about me, I'll post pictures and a brief history of the Fiestas of Santa Fe.

Also, it makes me wonder about all the Descansos on our roadways. In New Mexico they are protected from destruction and removal. Most of them are left for the loss of a loved one in an accident. Could they also be subject to challenge-- most of them are crosses. With Freedom of Religion, there are also those that call for the Freedom of Religion. While, I'm a strong advocate in the former, I do see the other side's point of view and it really is a touchy situation.

No comments: