Sunday, May 3, 2009

It's Just Getting Silly

Ron Howard V. the Catholic Church. Apparently, he's accusing the Vatican of not playing nice. All because they "interfered with getting permits" to shoot the movie in and around Rome.

Howard is trying to paint the Vatican with the same paint brush that Brown did in his books. It's absurd and ludicrous. The only one looking like a fool right now is Ron Howard.

AP article here.

Movie review here with a mishmash of comments.

I might have to do a compilation of links from both sides just for fun. Anyway, here are some more of my thoughts about the movie. I'm not up in arms about this movie at all. I might have to see it to appreciate the hotness of Ewan McGregor wearing a Cassock, but I don't have any expectations that it will be good movie even with Ewan McGregor in it.

I tried reading The Da Vinci Code and couldn't get through the first chapter, I thought it was so badly written I never went back to it. My mother, a more voracious reader than I, read it all and thought it was pretty bad. She didn't even like Angels and Demons. I don't think she finished it.

It's only till later, much later, did I hear the charges that it was Anti-Catholic and a big farce mislabeled as "historical fiction." Then I tried and I seriously mean tried to watch the movie. I got through about an hour of it and it was bad. None of it made sense, the acting was bad and I had no idea that Silas was played by Paul Bettany.

Anyway, I think this, like all things pissing off Catholics right now will pass. Still, the uproar is amusing. I think I'm paying attention to this story so I don't have to think about Norte Dame right now. Besides, I'm taking a moratorium of talking about politics in this blog. It may be permanent actually.

No comments: