Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Fr Jim Martin on Prayer

Finally updated with my thoughts below.




I won't deny that I've had trouble finding the words, the time or the impetus to sit down to pray. I've struggled with the whole process. I need something structured, formal, ritualized. I find the idea of just sitting quietly in a room, making up something as I go along quite difficult. Taking my priest's advice I started praying the Liturgy of the Hours. I pretty much do morning and evening prayer every day. It's structured and makes me relax, breathe and focus on God. It's still a bit strange to me to be praying because I never really did it much beyond church but I believe this is a good start.

And of course, Father Martin's suggestions are wise and worthwhile as well. He's been updating his video blogging about prayer. His second video blog was about the Ignatian Contemplation, which is something I find totally intriguing, and his third, which I just watched, was about lectio divina. This third type of prayer I find intriguing. I'm not quite sure I'm ready for this style of prayer.

No comments: