Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Office Reading...


James 4:11 - 12 ©
Brothers, do not slander one another. Anyone who slanders a brother, or condemns him, is speaking against the Law and condemning the Law. But if you condemn the Law, you have stopped keeping it and become a judge over it. There is only one lawgiver and he is the only judge and has the power to acquit or to sentence. Who are you to give a verdict on your neighbour?



This was the Office reading from today. It hit me over the head that day as I had been gossiping and speaking badly of another with my neighbor and it was making me feel pretty bad. I didn't like the situation I was in and I summed up the courage to actually tell her and we no longer discuss the situation or the other party.

I realize I was the sounding board for her to vent and work things through that was going on in her own faith community. I didn't know people involved, but I was getting uncomfortable.

I often allow myself to get caught up in the middle of drama and other people's gossip or mitote as we say around here and most of the time it's wrong, it can be sinful and it can come back to bite you on the ass, so I try not to get caught up in gossip, spreading slander but as I'm human, it happens. Anyway, I told my friend that I didn't want to have to seek out a priest for Confession, so we better stop talking about the drama. ;-)

No comments: