Thursday, August 7, 2008

Quickie update. A couple of posts ago I linked to the news about Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish's new statue of the Blessed Mother and its journey to Santa Fe. A couple of Sundays ago the New Mexican ran a news story about it and put up a slide show. These are photos taken by the photographer from the blog I linked to, but they're complied in a nice show so I thought I'd add a link to it.

A couple of weekends ago, my mom and I went to the Spanish Market. I had hoped to get a picture of the statue to put up in the blog, but it was covered, as it's not going to be official unveiled for another week, I think on the Feast of the Assumption, which is also the birthday of a former best friend of mine, but I won't go into why she's a former friend, but if I wanted to forget her birthday I couldn't. I'll say an extra prayer just for her at Mass next week anyway. So... no pictures of my own till then.

Back to the Spanish Market, some years I've found some lovely artwork that calls me to buy it. Some years, I haven't. Sometimes a retablo of a special saint just calls out to me, some years, I'm looking for a specific saint, and those years I usually don't find the one I'l seeking out. Last year I saw a lovely La Conquistadora-- but it was at least $800 over my budget. I'd also stumbled upon an Infant Jesus of Prague, but that was a bit pricey, so last year I went away without spending any money. This year, I stopped by the booth of an artist whose work I like. I have a St. Therese of Lisieux he painted from about four years ago. He had a lovely Infant Jesus of Prague and I ended up bringing him home. The artist's name is Arturo Olivas and his work can be found here. So, check it out for a lovely example of New Mexico Spanish Colonial Art.

No comments: