Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Falling Over You Is The News of the Day

Not that I know anything about what's going on in Missouri, though two of my dearest friends do live there, but I've heard the about the conflicts between the former Archbishop Burke and the St. Stanislaus Parish and it's pastor. I hadn't really paid too much attention, well... because it's news that is happening in another Archdiocese. Anyway, over at The Deacon's Bench, another blog I've been reading lately, there was this post-- follow the link at the end to read the whole article and then read the comments from the natives.

My neighbor, a Methodist, who was once a Catholic, says in her church they have a board who appoints the pastor and whom she must answer to. I just can't imagine it happening like that in the Catholic Church, but does it happen?I don't now how it works in my Archdiocese but I don't think there is a board that appoints pastors. I have always thought that the pastor of a parish is appointed by the (Arch)Bishop and that's pretty much that. Sure, we have had fights between parishioners and their pastors. In some small towns, the people in the pews think (sometimes accurately) that they have all the power and manage to drive out the priests despite how they got there in the first place.

Anyway, just something interesting I thought I'd share. I may come back and add more tidbits from the news later.

No comments: