Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I'm not going to... no... I can't...

Two things. I've decided to TRY to reread Death Comes for the Archbishop. It was required reading when I was a junior in high school and it was the first book I started to read that offended me and so I put it down. I'm not sure if what I saw in the book was really offensive. So many people, many Catholic, many not, many not New Mexican, say how much they loved that book and what a wonderful picture of New Mexico Cather painted. I just recall feeling totally upset and shocked by it. So, I'm going to try to reread it and see if I have a new and fresh perspective of it. I just remember feeling it was terribly racist and painted my people in a bad light.Whether it's true or not, I haven't been willing to reread it to find out. As much as I judgmental behavior, I have judged this book by the eyes of a naive 16-year-old. So... I will pick it up and start reading it again. It's not a long book and I read fast. I may make observations as I go.

The second thing, I think I'm going to try to explore a new idea for a new blog. I was talking to someone at the office and an idea came to me. It will focus less on my personal thoughts and observations, but more on historical and cultural observations. Some of which I've already done in this blog but I see it more of a tourist guide to Catholic New Mexico-- for a lack of better descriptor right now. I may not go very far with it, but I'm going to play around with it and see what emerges.

Ack... now I must get moving, as I have a date to go to the gym and then I should go to the office. See what happens when the office meeting is canceled? I get lazy. Oh, like I need an excuse for that.

No comments: