Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Is the Impossible Possible?



Today I was privileged to see a relic of St. Jude Thaddeus at the Cathedral Basilica here in town. The Dominican Friars from the Shrine of St. Jude in Chicago have brought the relic to my archdiocese again. A rosary was recited, then an opportunity for Confession before Mass celebrated with the Archbishop and the friars. Following Mass there was time for personal veneration of the relic and then an other opportunity for Confession. When I left, I left after the rosary, as I really couldn't stay for the Mass, there were huge lines for the confessionals. Quite honestly, the times I've been to confession this year (remember I just made my first Confession in a long, long time this year), there have always been long lines. Needless to say, I could have gone, as both my pastor and the rector at the Cathedral said that the priests hearing confessions wouldn't know us. Maybe that's why the lines were so long, ;-)

I know people jokingly make comments about not having to go to Confession. Archbishop Sheehan recently addressed the subject of Confession and the misconceptions of not having to go to Confession (or was that Mass? He talked about that recently too.) I've had a former Catholic friend tell me that it was done away with long ago and of course I said no, "it's one of the Seven Sacraments of the Catholic Church, and when you come back to the Church fully, you'll need to go to Confession before you can receive the Eucharist." '
Needless to say, that didn't go over well with my friend.

Anyway, this post isn't about Confession per se but seeing the relic of a Saint who lived during the time of Christ. A relic from a man who was one of the Twelve. Someone who is believed to have been a cousin of Jesus. How could I not experience that? Another short bio of St. Jude here.



I took my camera with me and for some reason, I did not take a picture of the relic as it processed up to the the table before the altar where it was placed and since I did not stay for Mass or the veneration, I didn't get a photograph of it at all. I searched google for images and found only a couple. This one is from the Aquinas Newman Center at UNM, which is staffed by Dominicans. It will end up there after it's soujourn in Santa Fe and arrival in Albuquerque.

This is the text of the prayer we prayed after the rosary was said.

Most Holy Apostle, St. Jude Thaddeus, faithful servant and friend of Jesus, the name of the traitor who delivered your beloved Master into the hands of his enemies has caused you to be forgotten by many. But the Church honors you, and I invoke you as the special advocate of those who are in trouble and almost without hope. Help me to realize that through our faith we triumph over life's difficulties by the power of Jesus who loved us and gave his life for us. Come to my assistance that I may receive the consolation and succor of heaven in all my needs, trials, and sufferings, particularly ( here make your request ) and that I may praise God with you and all the saints forever.

St. Jude, apostle of the Word of God, pray for us.
St. Jude, follower of the Son of God, pray for us.
St. Jude, preacher of the love of God, pray for us.
St. Jude, intercessor before God, pray for us.
St. Jude, friend of all in need, pray for us.
St. Jude, pray for us, and for all who invoke your aid.

(text taken from the prayer page at the Shrine of St. Jude website, where this relic is housed.)

No comments: