Sunday, October 19, 2008

Wanted: Crash Course in Apologetics.


Just a rant... so I'm logged into the forums at NaNoWriMo last night and find myself reading a thread about Catholics. A non-Catholic Christian is writing a story about a Catholic woman and needed basic information, so lots of people chime in and provide details and help and then of course, there's the contribution from the Ex-Catholic who has nothing good to say about Catholics. I could refute all her claims about our traditions being non-biblical, that we worship saints, don't follow the bible, misconceptions about the priesthood, confession and the Eucharist, but I didn't want to expend the energy last night.

You know, I can understand a non-Catholic's misconceptions about the Church, what we believe and what they think we believe, but I just don't get Ex-Catholics. I know plenty of them and I truly think they are the worst. They've gotten so bitter, so angry and so blinded by their new-found faith, that they think everything about the Church is wrong, backwards and unchristian. I think it's true that many Catholics are very uneducated when it comes to the Church. Many people know, but just don't care enough to learn about their faith. As a Catechism teacher, I am saddened by this. I so badly want to impart my love of the Church onto these children. I really fear that I'm not good at it and that I won't teach them anything worthwhile.

I don't expect all Catholics to stay in the church. I know many lapsed or cultural Catholics who don't have one bad thing to say about the Church, they just know it's not for them or they don't need it. I was that way for quite some time, but I just don't know why so many who do leave, they feel the need to bash it.

Thoughts for a day, which is going to be better than the previous one, but another day nonetheless.

No comments: